Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Still Reveling in Yesterday’s Run

I’m finally feeling like my old self this week, in terms of running. I’m running pain-free and my legs no longer feel like they have anchors tied to them. One of the ideas on recovering from races is that a runner should take expect to “take off” a day for each mile raced and in this case, almost an entire month after a marathon. Generally, this doesn’t mean no running of any kind for 26 days but rather, no speedwork or hard running of any kind. For this marathon, it proved absolutely true.

Yesterday morning, just as the sun was coming up, finally felt like I was ready to get to running and I set out for a hilly four mile run. I wanted to get in some quality running and really attack the hills, give ‘em no mercy. Boy, it felt great! I pounded up each hill, big or small, which made me feel like I was gliding along the flat sections.

I love how the hills get my heart pounding; “push push push” I repeat internally as my legs start to tire but I’m so close to the top. I can see it. Eyes on the prize. Just a little further. Just a little harder. Come on, you can do it! Get to the top.

And then I’m there. I’ve made it to the top of the hill. My breathing is heavy, my heart is pumping in overdrive, my legs are achy and I close my eyes for a moment and let out a sigh of relief. “Whew! I did it!,” I say to myself as I slow my pace.

The best hills are ones that flatten out on the top and don’t dump me immediately in to a downhill. I have time to bring my running back to a steady, sane pace – legs, heart, breathing all settling back down. There is a sense of relief and accomplishment that helps me relax in to recovery.

Only to do it again on the next hill – attack, relax, repeat.

Yesterday’s hill run was one of those runs I was disappointed to end. I wanted those four miles to keep going. I needed just one more hill and then I’d be ready to quit but knowing full well that one more hill would only make me crave another and then another. It was a great run.

Daily Dozen:
Slept in – Rest Day!
Possible some light bike work @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails