Sunday, February 20, 2011

Running Errands. Literally.

I'm not running according to a schedule.  I'm just running.  I have several races on the schedule and I'm just going to run all of them.  No time goals.  Just running.  How exciting!

However, it is making it difficult to push myself beyond my standard one hour run.  I've started running to work more days of the week which means I get a 7 to 10 mile run Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I've been looking for the right kind of motivation for my weekend long run.

I had three things that needed to be done today:  1) a long run, preferably on a trail, 2) drop off some checks at the ATM and 3) pick up a prescription and contact solution from the pharmacy.  As I got dressed for my run, I tried to plan my day and then thought, Why not get them all done at once?

I ran out the door with my checks for the ATM in one hand and my water bottle holder stuffed with my credit card for the pharmacy and two gels for the trail.  I hit the ATM, headed through the streets of Arlington downhill toward the Potomac River, ran along the Potomac Heritage Trail for a few miles, felt satisfied with a an hour of scrambling up, over and down rocks and roots, turned back, jumped on the Custis Bike Trail for a mile, swung back through the, now busier, streets of Clarendon, stopped long enough at the pharmacy to get what I needed and then headed home after nearly three hours of running errands.

Having a purpose for a run seems to be a great motivator for me.  Running as fun, exercise and mode of transportation.

Daily Dozen:
14 mile long/errand run

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails