Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Back in the Pool

I admit it: I haven’t been swimming.

I should be swimming – it’s a good counter-balance to running since it uses a different set of muscles, it is supposed to be good for recovery while still getting in a work out, and, oh yeah, I have my first open water swim and my first triathlon in only a few weeks.

With all that, I have only been in the pool one time in July. I used tapering for the marathon and the recovering enough for the six-hour race as an excuse to skip swimming. The truth is, I just don’t enjoy it and it is a hassle (bringing multiple changes of clothes to the pool, showering and getting ready for work in the locker room, lugging around an extra bag full of wet cloths to and from work, all those extra towels to wash each week).

When I am in the pool, I am counting laps and looking at the clock just waiting for it to be time to get out. No wonder I don’t enjoy it!

Yet, once I’m done, I feel the same sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that I get after a run. Perhaps once I’ve done the open water swim and the tri, a weekly pool workout won’t seem so tedious because it won’t feel like something I have to do it.

This morning I did 3 sets of 10 laps + 2 laps just kicking with a kickboard (for some reason this is my favorite “stroke” to practice so I reward myself with it when I do 10 laps without stopping). I was breathing hard by the second set and I know my form started to suffer by the third but it was a nice, slow workout. Welcome back to the pool!

Daily Dozen:
30 minutes swimming
3 miles w/ walking hill intervals @ lunch hour (planned)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails