Monday, April 12, 2010

Taper, Here I Come

Well, the damage has been done. Yesterday I completed my final long run of this round of marathon training. All that is left is the next two week’s of tapering – shorter runs and more sleep.

I feel confident coming off of the long run yesterday. While, I can’t say running 20 miles was easy, it certainly wasn’t as difficult as it has been in the past. I finished running strong yesterday and I am only minimally sore today. Completing the run was a tremendous boost to my confidence going in to the marathon, especially falling the run previous weekend’s attempt at 20 miles. I’m feeling very good about the marathon.

Some people have a hard time tapering before their marathon. They get antsy when they have more time on their hands because of the mileage reduction that goes along with the taper. However, I look forward to tapering. In fact, I see it as my reward for all the hard work I put in over the past few months. I ran hard. I ran long. Before I attempt to run both harder and longer during the marathon, I get a little break in order to rest and recover.

I don’t experience that taper madness that some runners complain of. I don’t feel like I need to squeeze in one more long run, I’ve yet to feel any phantom aches and pains or injuries and I don’t obsess over the coming marathon. I’ve read about other runners having issues with all of these things during their taper. Not me – I am looking forward to the extra sleep. Zzzzzzz

On deck tomorrow – “only” 5 miles.

Daily Dozen:
4.41 miles – very easy pace, feeling good, still on a high from yesterday’s run

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails