Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Relief Run

I have never felt so much relief because of a run but that is the best word to describe my feelings during and after this morning’s run: relief. Beautiful, calming, unabashed relief.

My last run was nearly a week ago on Wednesday when I bagged a 9 mile run and made it only 3.5 miles. “Live to Run Another Day” was the name of that entry but I had no idea that the other day I would be living for would be a full 6 days away. I skipped Thursday’s 5-miler in order to let my sore quadriceps heal, looking forward to my Sunday 14-miler.

Sandwiched in between two 20 mile runs, 14 would be a piece of cake; however, I started running Sunday morning (a gorgeous morning for running – it was an absolute shame to waste it) and barely made it a quarter mile. My left leg was still hurting and it was affecting my running gait to the point where I actually had a noticeable limp! Gulp!

Rather than get upset or start worrying, I returned home, applied ice and started massage; optimistic that this wasn’t a sidelining injury.

However, today, I ran. Thank goodness it was with very little pain and no limp. After a mile or so, I was fully warmed up and I didn’t have a problem with the rest of the run. Relief.

I’ll be running one more 20-milers this coming Sunday and then its taper time. Only three more long runs left until the marathon. I’m excited to run this race and see all my hard work, coming back from injury and ramping up my mileage from zero, pay off in Vermont. More icing and massage is still in my future but fingers-crossed that I have no more scares.

Today’s Daily Dozen:
5 mile run @ morning
Core workout @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails