Sunday, January 3, 2010

Brrrrr

Sixteen degrees with a "feels like" temperature of -2....NEGATIVE TWO....although sunny and clear there was a wind advisory, just to make things interesting.

That is the weather situation that I faced as I headed out for a long run this morning. I always feel hardcore when I run in low temperatures. Some people might be scared off by that little "dash" in front of the temperature but not me, no way.

This run was long overdue. After my self-imposed week off last week, I hit the ground running (bah) last week and it felt good. But then I wasn't feeling well Thursday (woke up to run, had zero energy, went back to bed) and Friday (headed out for a 9 mile run, felt sick after 1.5 miles, run/walk back home). I was feeling better this morning but I still headed out with some trepidation.

Would all that time off put a kink in my fitness? With the holidays and being busy on the weekends, it has been a while since I managed to get in a proper long run, would I be able to make the distance?

Faced with -2 degree temperature, a recent illness and wind, I headed out but decided to stick close to home and explore some of the streets and neighborhoods around my neighborhood instead of doing my usual out-and-back. I didn't want to be 7.5 miles from home and not be able to make it back. It took me a few miles to warm up; before my arms no longer felt like they were going to freeze off. However, once I warmed up, I felt good running through the quiet neighborhoods.

I was aiming for anything over 10 miles but under 15 miles and ended up with a final distance of 11. 72. I was getting tired (tired of fighting the wind, tired of the cold, tired of my nose running, tired of the hills -- Military Road has some killer hills; good to know) and I didn't want to stretch my endurance so soon after a break.

I feel energized for marathon training, which starts...TOMORROW!!

Daily Dozen:
11.72 miles @ morning, long run

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails