Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Doing Nothing

I’m not used to doing nothing. I hate it doing nothing. I feel lazy and guilty when I do nothing. Even when I am doing nothing for a good reason, I still can’t shake the notion that I should be doing something.

…And this is why I am purposefully doing nothing while I recover from a muscle strain in my left quad. Yesterday and today I’ve been talking myself out of just going for a little run. It won’t hurt anything if I warm up properly. Just a short run after work, that’s all (as if somehow the time of day made a difference). I’m practically fantasizing about these runs and have to continually remind myself that I am not running for a good reason and breaking the self-imposed running embargo will likely result in more time spent not running. It isn’t worth it, I keep reminding myself….and then forgetting.

In fact, I have even strictly forbidden myself from going down to workout in the gym during work. I know I should do some upper body strength training and core work since I’ve got the time and energy but I also know that the temptation to sneak in a harmless, little run on the treadmill would simply be too much for me. It’s for my own good that I skip the workouts altogether.

I don’t say this to be one of those “braggy” runners – “oh, I can’t NOT run, that would be impossible, I once ran through this injury or on that bloody stump.” I’d rather be a smart (and lifelong) runner than one of those always injured, always in pain runners who limp along bandaged together with tape, pain relievers and constant icing.

Then again, one little run wouldn’t hurt…right?

Daily Dozen:
Nothing and I am OK with that.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails