Monday, October 25, 2010

Long Runs: Progression Style

To me, long runs have always meant getting out there and hitting a certain distance goal no matter how long it took me.  Twenty miles?  No problem, I’ll just run out for 10 miles, turn around and run back home:  slow and steady the whole way.  That is, until now. I am taking a different approach to my long runs during this marathon training cycle.  

The plan I’ve put together for the Charleston Marathon in January (and my first attempt at running a marathon in under 4 hours) incorporates Progression Long Runs.  With 40 minutes left in the run, I am incrementally picking up the pace over the last four miles until the last mile hits my goal marathon pace (roughly 9 minutes per mile).  Knowing what certain paces feel like and being able to hit certain paces is not one of my strengths as a runner so I am not going to be getting too hung up on numbers.  Rather, my goal is to be able to hit the distance goal for the day and still be able to pick up the pace at the end to get somewhere in the vicinity of 9 minute miles.

Saturday was my first attempt at a progression long run – 13 miles with the last 4 getting close to goal marathon pace.  It was a gorgeous morning for a run.  The air was crisp and on the chilly-side but the sun was shining and there was promise that the temperatures would rise to be more comfortable. 

I headed out for a relatively flat 6.5 miles before turning back for home.  As I passed the four mile mark on the way out, I mentally checked off the location and told myself, when you run by here on the way home it’ll be time to pick up the pace.  I hit the turn around point and then headed back toward that spot (and home). 

I actually found myself looking forward to hitting the 9 mile mark (4 miles on the way out) and picking up the pace.  It made the long run seem a bit shorter, having something other than the end to focus on.

My Garmin beeped at the Mile 9 mark and I picked up my pace.  “Just a smidge faster,” I told myself.  I always have trouble hitting race paces when I’m not actually racing so I wasn’t expecting much.  I told myself not to be disappointed if I couldn’t find a faster pace and to just be happy if I was under a 10 minute pace.  I was pleasantly surprised to see my Mile 10 pace at 9:02.

Okay!  But back off just a little bit.

Mile 11 was 9:08 and I was surprised to still feel good.  I felt like I was running only slightly faster than easy pace.  Miles 12 and 13 would have some hills and I expected to slow down (and gave myself permission to have a slower pace).  I ran these two miles in 9:18 (bigger, longer hill) and 9:10.  It was a reverse of what I intended but still better than I expected. 

I felt great at the end of the run and not just because of the successful progression run.  I felt like I could have run further and most importantly, I felt comfortable running at a pace close to goal marathon pace after running with 9 miles already on my legs.  When it comes to running faster and increasing my race paces, I think that one obstacle for me can be confidence.  I’m afraid to run fast – my legs feel like lead, my lunges are burning, I can’t breath, I’m huffing and puffing, and most importantly my mind is telling me to shut it down, running slower just feels better in the long run.   I want to learn how to shut my brain off. 

I think my faster race times recently have shown me that I can run faster and that there is nothing to be afraid of when I stretch my running abilities.  Saturday’s long run gave me another great confidence boost.

I celebrated with a hot mug of hot chocolate (made with milk, I call that my recovery drink!) and an ice bath. 

Ice Bath

Daily Dozen:
9 mile run to work
Push-ups, walking and stretching @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails