Monday, October 18, 2010

Picking a Training Plan

I’ve run 5 marathons.  I’ve used 5 different training plans:  Hal Higdon’s Novice for the Shamrock Marathon, Hal Higdon’s Intermediate I for Marine Corp, my own plans for Vermont City (focusing on longer, long runs w/ 5 days of running per week) and Nashville (focusing on hills with 6 days of running each week).  Bob Potts was just a retreat, recovery and hope for the best sort of plan. 

After a few years of trying my hand at creating a plan, with some limited success, I decided to find something a bit more structured since I have the specific goal of running a sub-4 marathon in Charleston n January. 

I found a plan on Runner’s World that is only 12-weeks and focuses on speed.  I know I can go the distance.  Now, it is a question of can I go the distance faster?  We will find out.

Marathon training started today with a 9 mile run.  I ran to work, taking a longer way past Arlington National Cemetery over to the Thomas Jefferson Memorial and then up the National Mall to the Capitol before swinging over in to Chinatown. 

I am excited about this plan and I felt strong on this morning’s run.  I’m looking forward to seeing where the speedwork takes me this go ‘round.

Daily Dozen:
8.86 miles run to work
Push-ups and walk @ lunch time

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails