Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Running is a Roller Coaster

Often during my morning runs, I compose blog posts as I run along the bike paths and roads. More often than not only small snippets of these mental compositions actual making in what I eventually type up but it keeps my mind occupied on something while still allowing me to focus on running.

Yesterday’s mental post was about how strong I felt, about how I had finished my final high mileage week and I was feeling very strong – mentally and physically. Yesterday morning, I was ready to declare to the world, “I am runner, hear me ROAR.”

This morning I was hoping to carry that confidence over to strong 8-miler that, if I was feeling good, would include a few middle miles at marathon pace. That was not the case. My legs were tired and I had to constantly refocus on ensuring I was picking up my feet enough and avoid shuffling along, scuffing my shoes. I was more than a little demoralized.

Training for a marathon can be an emotional roller coaster for me. The highs are tremendous. I feel so confident and strong during and after a good run that it makes me forget all previous days of heavy legs or aches and pains. I forget that there have been days that I simply had to give up on runs. I forget that barely six months ago I was building back up from scratch, looking forward to running for 30 minutes straight. Yesterday’s run made me remember all of other runs as if they were as smooth and refreshing as this one.

But there will always be lows. This morning was a low. After less than a half mile, I didn’t feel like continuing and I wasn’t able to shake the feeling. My legs were tired and heavy. They felt like they were on the verge of rebelling. Even the slight inclines were enough to start me huffing and puffing. I decided to vary my route and run by some houses my husband and I have had our eye on in the hopes that the new streets and neighborhoods would be enough to stimulate the run.

While I finished the 8 miles, I couldn’t help but feel disappointment in how fleeting yesterday’s strength and confidence happened to be. Where did they go? Will I get them back? Is tomorrow morning’s run gonna suck as well?

Before I sink to for in to my feelings of “woe is me and my running,” I’ve got to remind myself, tomorrow is a new day and a new opportunity for strength. I lost somewhere out on the roads this morning but maybe I’ll find it again on tomorrow’s run. I’ll keep an eye out.

Today’s Daily Dozen:
8 mile morning run

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails