Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Short and Sweat…erm, Sweet

I just love a good run. There is no better feeling than getting in an easy but good (read: sweaty) run – just cruising along, in the zone, happy to be moving.

I’ve only had the opportunity to workout during my lunch break at work for under a year but I absolutely love it. The day seems short since I am looking forward to the workout beforehand and then the day is almost done when I get back to my desk afterwards. It is the perfect way to spend an hour during work.

Oddly, it has only been recently that I’ve been running during the hour. I’d shied away from the treadmill, shunned is more appropriate really, for no other reason than I thought that’s what “real” runners do. Yet, I love my short 3 mile-ish runs that breakup the work day. I get to run and sweat and feel great.

The feeling afterwards is even better. While sitting at my desk, back hard at work, I feel like I am carrying around a secret for the rest of the day. No matter what happens, I got to run, I got to sweat and it feels wonderful. The mid-day run feels almost naughty.; like I skipped school for an hour, went for a joy ride and then came back, not to gloat but just to savor the rebelliousness of it.

It is a strange way to view a run, I mean; it is just a run after all. It holds no special powers. There is no one to be impressed by it. It is a short and sweet little secret that I get to savor.

Daily Dozen
3.56 mile treadmill run @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails