Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Strange Motivation

Something strange is going on with me this week. On Sunday, I decided to bail on my long run (my piriformis was feeling a little tweaked from the run to work on Friday, it was hot, even at 6:30 in the morning, and I just didn’t feel like it). Instead, I decided to play around with the Wii Outdoor Challenge game.

Outdoor Challenge uses a power pad on the floor and the Wii-mote to simulate all kinds of activities – hurdle jumping, jumping rope, skateboarding, kayaking, etc. I figured why not get in a little fun, burn a few calories and get back to running the next day, refreshed and raring to go.

The Outdoor Challenge was indeed fun and I worked up quite a sweat during my 45 minutes of playing the game so I was very satisfied with my choice.

That is, until I woke up on Monday.

Both of my calves were on fire. They have never been this sore! I couldn’t even walk without pain and going up or down stairs was near unbearable. I skipped my morning runs Monday and Tuesday; however, both days I felt compelled to run over my lunch break. My legs were less sore, still hurt while walking but just less so and when I jumped on the treadmill I was surprised to find out that running didn’t hurt.

For the past two days, I’ve made the choice to skip a morning run in favor of a run on the treadmill in the middle of the day. What?! Even as I am making the decision, it strikes me as out of character.

Once again, I made the same decision this morning. As I packed my gym clothes for work, I thought, I should finally do some strength training at the gym but the idea of skipping the mid-day treadmill run had me feeling disappointed. Could it be that I would actually miss jumping on the treadmill for a run? Me, the adamant morning, outdoor runner for the past year. Really?

Yes, it’s true. This week, or at least for three days in a row so far, the mid-day treadmill run has been my motivation. It gets me excited. I don’t know how to explain it. Maybe it is because it is something new and the soreness in my calves has forced me to change a routine I didn’t realize was getting stale? I use to do almost all of my running on the treadmill and maybe my passion for running will go through cycles. Could it be that I’m on my second round of treadmill-running cycle?

Even as I type that, I’m torn. On the one hand, I am telling myself, “of course not, don’t be silly, you’re going to be right back out on the roads tomorrow morning.” Yet, I can’t contain my excitement for today’s treadmill run. I am really looking forward to it. Can the two co-exist?

No matter what is motivating me to run – the secret of a pre-dawn run, the whirl of a treadmill that breaks up the workday, or an afternoon sweat-fest with a friend – running is running and I’ll take it anyway I can get it.

Daily Dozen
3.5 miles easy, treadmill @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails