Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Recovery

Let’s talk recovery.

I haven’t felt as beat up by this marathon as I have in the past. My legs are sore and the rest of me is just simply exhausted but I don’t think I did any damage or caused on injury. I feel steady on my feet (for the most part, there have been a few steps that have felt a little wobbly) and going up stairs isn’t too terrible. Now, going downstairs is still painful but I manage.

The only thing that has me worried is some swelling in one of my toes. After marathons, my toes usually feel a little beat up and I will have a small (not painful) blister or two on the tips of a toe(s). For nine out of ten toes, this marathon was no different – a little pain Sunday and Monday but today they’re fine. One toe, the second toe on my left foot is swollen and very tender to the touch all around the toe, not just under the nail bed. I’m not sure what is going on with it – it is much better today than yesterday but it is still painful. I’ll have to keep an eye on that one.

I’m attributing this better than experienced recovery to two things: one, the higher mileage and two, the course itself.

I went in to this round of marathon training running 50 mile weeks and progressed up to 55-60 mile weeks by the time I peaked for Nashville in early April. Even though I didn’t hit the 50+ miles as consistently as I would have liked, I noticed an increase in the strength of my running. Mid-week runs over 10 miles didn’t require a day off the next day and weekend long runs did seem to take as much out of me as they have in the past. This higher mileage, Just Run, experience succeeded in this aspect.

The other reason I am doing so well with my recovery on this go-round is because the course was 95% gravel and dirt. The same exact course on roads would have taken a larger toll on my legs, for sure. I’m sold! I love running on Rail Trails!

Fingers crossed for the continuation of a good recovery period and yay! for more sleep the past few days.

Daily Dozen:
Absolutely Nothing

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails