Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A good run, a realization and a new goal

This is my fourth attempt at following a marathon plan with specific types of runs – tempo, marathon pace, intervals, etc.  Once again, I have discovered that this type of training just isn’t for me. 

I get discouraged when I can’t hit the paces I am supposed to hit and always end up injured.  However, for my first marathon, I followed a plan that simply had me running miles and it is the only training plan that I have been able to feel successful at following.  I knew what to run that day and I just did it without much further thought.  Plan says 5, run 5.  Plans says 16, run 16. Just get the miles done. 

And I was able to get the miles done.  And, it was actually a confidence builder to succeed at the plan.  Lately, I just seem frustrated at myself for not being able to improve and succeed at specific speedwork. 

I want to get back to that feeling I had during my first round of marathon training:  the feeling of pride and wonder as I discovered each week what new mileage milestones my body was capable of hitting.  I want to go back to a time when I didn’t think twice about race pace or worry about running the race faster than last time. 

My new goal for Charleston is to run a strong race.  What strong means will depend on the day.  I want to have fun out there.  I don’t want to run a strong race and then feel down about it because it doesn’t meet the time expectation I foolishly set for myself.  If I run a sub-4 hour marathon, great.  If I PR, wonderful.  If I run my strongest race and it is 30 minutes slower than I planned, I want that to be fine as well. 

Today, rather than run the prescribed speedwork – 2 x 4 miles at MP, with .5 recovery – I went out for a long pre-work run listening to an All Songs Considered podcast.  I decided to run faster whenever there was a song playing and then slow it down when there was talking.  The pressure of hitting a specific pace on a cold, windy morning (and being disappointed and so frustrated in myself that I quit running) wasn’t part of my run.  I ran the “fast” pace that felt good and have no idea what that means in numbers. 

I ended the run with a smile on my face, feeling confident and strong.  Boy, that sure felt good, I can’t wait to do it again tomorrow. 

Daily Dozen
9.5 miles
XT in gym @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails