Thursday, December 30, 2010

Swimming

A bit over a month ago, after repeated attempts by a friend to get me to try swimming, I finally ran out of excuses and went swimming for the first time in a long, long time.  As I knew I would, but for unknown reasons didn’t want to admit, I really enjoyed it and since that first “lesson” back in November I’ve been back to the pool a few more times.

I’m still learning about proper technique for my stroke and breathing and kicking…and about a million other things that it seems like I have to remember while swimming…but I am looking forward to improving and getting more efficient. 

This morning I went to the pool by myself for the first time.  As I slipped in to the slightly cool water, I had to smile to myself:  I just couldn’t believe I was at the pool, preparing to swim laps at 5:45 in the morning.  My friend was right, as soon as I started swimming; I ended up loving it and look forward to going back each week.  Why did I resist this for so long?

I still don’t have a clue what I am doing and am rather intimidated / impressed by the other swimmers who seem to be able to swim lap after lap without pause.  Meanwhile, I am please with myself whenever I can string together two or three laps without (much of) a pause at the wall.  One day, I tell myself, one day that will be me. 

With various pauses and rests thrown in, I swam 36 laps this morning for a total of 900 meters.  Most sprint triathlons have a swim distance of 700 or so meters so I am rather encouraged by my swimming abilities this early in my learning. 

Yes, I’ll finally admit it, my interest is slightly intrigued by triathlons and one of my goals for 2011 is to complete my first triathlon.  New year, here I come!

Daily Dozen:
Swimming, 36 laps
Run to and from pool, less than 2 miles

1 comment:

Therese said...

Becki - I am truly impressed and very inspired to focus more on my training. I believe this is our year to hit new personal bests.

Related Posts with Thumbnails