Monday, August 31, 2009

More Runners

After taking a break from running this weekend, it was good to be back to it this morning. The morning was cool without a hint of humidity and my pace felt right – easy but still working. It was just what I needed to round out my mini-hiatus.

I felt guilty skipping my run this weekend but I know it was the right call.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the number of runners I’ve seen lately out on the bike paths early in the morning. The few times a year I run in the evenings there are runners galore; however, that wasn’t the case in the mornings, especially pre-dawn. Usually, I see a few older guys and once in a while a speedy younger guy and maybe a walker or two; however, lately I’ve been seeing quite a few runners of all speeds and breeds.

I’ve quite a few more women out running, along with the guys, and that always puts a smile on my face. I’m not sure I could pinpoint exactly why but I experience a moment of pride when I see more ladies out there, pounding the pavement. I’ve even come across a running group – 10-15 women strong. Wow!

Usually, there is a surge in the number of runners out on the trails when the Marine Corps Marathon (October) or the National Marathon (March) start to get closer but it is too early for pending races to explain the increase.

Perhaps it is the heat and humidity, or rather people wanting to escape the sun in the afternoon and evenings after work. If this is the case, I wonder if I’ll start to see fewer and fewer runners on the trails in the morning now that cooler weather is here. I hope not. I am enjoying the company.

Daily Dozen
5 miles easy in the morning
Strength training in the gym (planned) @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails