Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Bad Dream

I am running a race today. I just woke up and I had a dream about the race. It did not go well.
I am hoping by putting it down in writing I can exorcise the bad dream and avoid repeating it real life in a few hours.

Everything seemed to be going wrong. Everyone was milling around and didn't know where to start, when to start or even who was running the race. Suddenly someone yells go and we all take off. After I fight my way after the start line and struggle with the buttons on my watch, trying to start the timer, I realize I still have on my long sleeve shirt and decide to ditch it. I peel it off only to discover that I actually have on two other long sleeve shirts. I keep taking off shirts and taking shirts until finally I am free.

Needless to say, the race is not going very well for me. I am already starting to struggle with my pace and feel absolutely sluggish. Free from the entrapment of the shirts, I think to myself, "great now I can finally start to really run" but I am so far behind I can barely see the back of the pack. I'm having a hard time even passing the walkers.

I trip and stumble across intersections, clawing at the ground in hopes that it will be help me find a smooth pace.

I then realize that I have been running with my backpack and start looking for a familiar face in the crowd to hand it off to. I scan the crowd over and over and finally see a former coworker. I throw my backpack at her feet and take off. I can see the middle of the pack - I'm catching up! Yes!

The course goes through this weird turn about, a short, weird almost maze-like out-and-back, and I get lost in there. When I come out, thinking I'm going the right way, I've actually managed to cut a significant portion of the course. I'm a cheater and I don't know what to do. Keep going? Turn around? What do I do?

...and then I woke up.

Dear Running Gods, please don't let this happen in real life. Many thanks, Becki

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails