Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fun Runs

I am bouncing back from the cold I was fighting and the break from running it forced me to take. Actually, I am more than simply bouncing back…I have had so much fun the past three days.

Monday, since I had the day off of work I slept in for a little bit, took my time getting ready for my run and didn’t leave the house until after 9:30. I was aiming for 12 miles that morning and decided to add a little twist to the run – push ups!

I set my Garmin to beep every 30 minutes of the run at which point, I would stop running and do 10 push ups followed by 10 reverse crunches and then 10 more push ups. Over the course of the run I would take a mini strength training break 4 times and do 80 push ups. I was excited to be doing something a little different on my long run.

The plan worked great and was so much fun. I looked forward to the push ups and it broke up the long run nicely. I had something to look forward to. I wanted to see how far I could get in those 30 minutes before I had to stop. The last two stops, on the way back, I could only manage 5 push ups in the second set but I felt strong and tough.

Ok, and a little silly doing push ups as people walked, ran and biked past me but it was silly and buff blended together. It really had me pumped and I definitely ended the run with a smile on my face. Since I’m not training for anything at the moment, I’ve decided to break up all my long runs in a similar fashion – keep the running fresh and build some strength in the process.

Tuesday morning before work I ran 8 miles and I loved every minute of it. There is something about running that far, that long before work that makes me happy for the rest of the day. It was a crisp and cool, almost cold, morning and the lower temperatures felt good. It is the first time I’ve been able to see my breath as I walked to the trail. The summer heat was behind me for good; welcome fall and winter

Running in the heat and humidity of summer feels wrong when I compare it to how natural it feels to glide along the bike trails on a fall morning. It just feels right. Tuesday morning, I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be on that morning; like all the pieces were in place and as long as I kept going they would remain in place forever and ever.

As I hit the final mile of the run, I cam upon a group of women – four or five of them – running along the path. They were going just about my pace and I probably should have just tucked in behind them and finished my run at the intended effort – easy; and, that is exactly what I did for about a minute and a half. Then, I just couldn’t take it.

The desire to pass them; to show them just how smooth and effortless and easy it was for me to pick up the pace, pass them and then keep going, even when they were well out of sight, it was too much for me and I gave in. I picked up my pace, swung around them – Ah, running fast felt great – and kept going until I got home.

Today was a planned short recovery run – only 3 miles. I did manage to hold down the pace, taking it nice and slow but I couldn’t help myself and extended the run just a little. I didn’t want it to end so quickly.

As I took my time this morning, I thought about the past couple days of running and how lucky I am to have found something I enjoy this much. I thought about my future running plans – the base building months ahead of me and how I’m hoping it will put me in a good place to start training for a marathon in April, the possibilities for a race next fall (maybe finally doing Richmond or *eek* an ultra?), my hope to make 2011 the Year of Maryland marathons – Frederick and Baltimore in one year, and maybe just maybe one day running a sub-4 marathon…and then a faster marathon to qualify for Boston, could I do it in 3:40.

But those things are long range goals, plans, hopes, dreams. I kept running and reminded myself of my new mantra – Just Run. Well, if the future is too far away and too complicated, what about tomorrow? What can I do tomorrow to ensure running remains fun?

Answer: Hills!

Daily Dozen:
3.9 miles @ recovery pace
Core work @ lunch break

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails