Monday, November 23, 2009

Flirting w/ higher mileage

When I am not actively training for a marathon, the stress of hitting certain miles each run, going to bed early and eating to fuel my runs melts away during the month following the race. It’s not that I let myself go or anything, I am still pretty disciplined (that being part of the point of this very blog; to stay accountable to daily activity) compared to how I lived prior to becoming a runner. It is just that my running tends to get a little “fuzzy.”

After each of my three marathons, my weekly running mile tended to settle in the mid 20s. This was good enough in between marathons but I still felt like I was starting over whenever I started training for the next marathon. During the last few miles of marathons 2 and 3, I’ve started to fade and I think this has more to do with my running base going in to the training phase rather than the training phase itself. Over the summer, fully settling in to 20 mile weeks, I resolved to make a change – I want my next marathon to be strong, from start to finish and the way to get there is through building a better running base.

During August and September, I made an effort to run more miles and I was comfortable running weekly mileage in the 30s; however, my efforts weren’t really focusing. I was still running fuzzy. This Fall, I have made decided effort to gain some focus without being too rigid.

During the month of October, each week I tried to hit 40 miles by Sunday. I was hitting this mileage consistently for the month and my legs were holding up well against the increased mileage. Throughout this month, I’ve been aiming for a weekly mileage of 45 miles. Due to life outside of running, I haven’t been able to hit it as consistently as I was hitting 40 in October but I have running very strong at this higher mileage all month long.

I really couldn’t be more pleased with my running at the moment and it has even had tremendous impact in other ways I didn’t intend. For one, my weight has dropped (almost 5 pounds below what I was over the summer) and seems to be continuing on this downward trend. I have much better muscle tone in my legs, especially in my quads and glutes.

Best of all, my pace has increased (see Breakthrough) at all my paces and even on my training runs. "Just Run" has me running consistently at a 10 minute mile pace. Awesome!

Another change I’ve made, in addition to the higher mileage, is incorporating pushups during the day. My goal, each day, is to get in 100 pushups from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. My core is strong than it ever has been before and on “good” days I can see a “one-pack” starting to peak out.

Things are going well (I really hope I didn’t just jinx it!)

Run Strong!

Daily Dozen:
Cross-training (recumbent bike) and Strength Training @ lunch hour
3.7 miles after work with Jenn (planned)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails