Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Impulse Racing – Good or Bad?

The GCF Half Marathon; I’ve be contemplating running the race for weeks. I’ve even told everyone I was running it but I never committed to it until this morning. I’m not even sure what made up my mind. All I know is that I sat down at my computer this morning and just signed up. I forked over my money and that was that.

I haven’t trained for this race and I don’t really even feel like “racing” this race. I’ve been running faster paces lately and I’ve had an awesome streak of PRs in my last three races – 5K, 10K, 10 miles – in that order. It means I’m due for a PR at the next distance; the half marathon. However, I’m just not sure I’m feeling it.

One the one hand, I signed up for the race because I wanted to do 13 miles anyway this weekend so why not contribute to a great cause and run with thousands of other runners (plus it is an inaugural race…I enjoy doing inaugural races for some reason). The race is right in DC so no traveling is required; I will just need to get up a bit earlier than I normally would have on for a long run.

And yet…

There is still that fire inside of me that is chiding me for taking it easy – if I went out there and followed my training, I know I could PR by 2 minutes or more. Why not go for it? It’ll be a cool, early November morning; the conditions could not be better. Am I holding myself back?

BUT…

Is it smart? I just came off a poorly run hard race that left my legs feeling a little dead last week. Is this inviting injury? What’s the right move? Am I capable of making that decision on race day – will I be able to listen to my body and back off if I need to?

I’m not totally convinced that racing on impulse is always a good thing. Either way, it’s a good cause and I’ll have fun no matter what. Just Run….just run.

Daily Dozen:

4 miles @ easy, recovery pace
Strength Training (I’m motivated by push-ups lately – 100 in a day) @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails