Friday, November 6, 2009

Pride versus Frustration

Alternately, I feel both pride and frustration.

I decided to skip my run this morning despite having woken up early, gotten dressed, packed my backpack, eaten breakfast and been ready to walk out the door. Yesterday the outside part of my left foot started to ache – I think it is a sore tendon or something along those lines – and it didn’t feel right when I was getting ready. I did a quick jog around the living room and I could have made it in to work, I know I could have made it, but I decided the right thing to do was skipped today’s run.

Immediately after making the decision, the right decision, I felt good. I knew it was the right call. My ultimate goal is to be a runner for life and in order to earn that title I need to actually be able to run. In the grand scheme of things, the 7-9 miles I would have run this morning don’t even make a dent.

My foot is feel better as the day goes on – still a bit tender but I should be fine by Sunday (the next scheduled run day). It was the right call to make and I take it as one sign I’m becoming a better runner. I know enough to know I can’t run through pain. Just run, even when that means skipping a run, just run.

Still, I know I could have finished the run.

Daily Dozen:
Rest Day

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails