Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Diagnosis ?

It has been a strange few weeks for me running-wise.


Let me set the record straight – I’ve had some good runs and even some memorable runs (thanks Mom!). However, June was also the worst month of running for me since I started 4 years ago. It wasn’t my pace. It wasn’t my mileage. (Although neither of those were spectacular). It is the only time that I have dreaded running. I’ve hated the bike paths. I’ve resented waking up early. I’ve cursed the hills.

So what was going wrong?

I wasn’t sleeping well because of work and so I wasn’t running at all or running well when I would try to get out on the trails. In fact, I’ve had quite a few “stop-and-starts” meaning I’d get out to run, get anywhere from a whole mile or just a few steps before I would just decide to stop. Once I stopped because my heart rate shot up almost immediately and I took that as a sign that I needed to rest/sleep more than I needed to run. Another time I ran a full mile and I simply decided that I had had enough. I really didn’t want to be out there so I stopped, turned around and walked home.

Stopping mid-run because of a high heart-rate is just smart. Stopping mid-run because I just didn’t want to be out there, well, that’s unusual for me. In the past when I’ve had to talk myself in to getting out on the paths, once I started I would feel better and even if I never felt super-great on the run, well by the end I would at least feel accomplished and proud. This time, the time when I just stopped, I didn’t feel anything in particular. I stopped running, started walking, made it back to the house and fell instantly asleep. I didn’t even realize I was that tired.

To me, these are the symptoms of over-training and being burnt-out. Usually I can’t wait for the weekend long runs and now I have to convince myself to get out there.

Is it the heat? Is it that I need a break? I don’t know.

I haven’t been running like I had hoped leading up to my first venture in to the world of ultra-marathon running and that has both bummed me out and made me very nervous for this coming Saturday. I don’t really know what is going to happen. I had a good base going to the marathon in May and I did my best to balance recovery from that PR-race and maintaining a certain level of running-fitness for the 50K attempt next weekend. That balance never really happened and now I’m nervous and a little afraid. I have no idea what is going to happen this weekend. I did what I could be it was far less than I had hoped/planned.
So maybe it is fear?

No matter what, no matter the heat, the burn-out or the fear, Saturday is going to happen and I am going to give it my best shot. Even if I end up walking most of it, by Saturday afternoon I will have run an ultra-marathon.

Daily Dozen:
4.27 miles @ easy pace this morning
Strength training @ lunch hour (arms only)

1 comment:

Jenn ZiBerna said...

But you did it! You did it! Congrats Becki!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails