Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rejection never felt so good.

Going in to the Skyline Challenge 50K, I told myself that if the race went well and I enjoyed the experience I would sign up for the JFK 50 Miler in November. Because of the volume of application the race receives, this year they made entry in to the race a lottery. My application did not get picked in the lottery and I have to be honest my initial reaction was disappointment mixed with relief.

I had a training plan worked out and have poured over race reports from previous years but I was still relieved that I wouldn’t have to go through with the race. I’m not sure I am ready to take on that challenge just yet and I’d like to get some more 50Ks under my belt before jumping up to the next level.

So, yay! for rejection. Saved by the lottery!

I have my eye on another 50K this fall but I’d like to see how a month or so of training goes before signing up for it. It would be a flatter, loop course and I’m excited to see how I handle it compared to the Skyline Challenge that was an out-and-back up and down mountains.

Also, I’ve signed up for quite a few shorter races – a half-marathon trail race, some 10Ks and 5Ks and the annual 10-mile that has become something of a family tradition.

Even if I don’t sign up for another long race this fall I’m looking forward to a fun and relaxed fall running season. No pressure, no expectations, just good running experiences.

Daily Dozen:
XT – elliptical and stair-master @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails