Sunday, April 24, 2011

Brick Workout

This morning I woke up early with a purpose.  I got ready but not in my usual running garb for fifty degree weather.  Instead, I grabbed a long sleeve shirt, padded gloves and my bike helmet.

Riding my bike never gives me the same thrill as running but I will admit it can be fun cruising downhills, pushing the pace on the flats, whizzing by runners.  After a satisfying 16-miler yesterday, my legs took a little while to get in a groove but before too long I was in a zone and enjoying the ride.  There is something satisfying about covering 8 miles in the time it takes to cover half that distance.

However, pulling in to the garage to park my bike, I wasn't done.  To train for the upcoming Luray Triathlon, I need to practice transitioning from biking to running - or in tri terminology, a brick workout.  I jumped off my bike, traded my helmet for a hat, took a sip of water and headed back out to the trail for an easy two miles.

Or, what should have been an easy two miles.

Jumping off a bike and going right in to a run is the same sensation you get when you first get off a trampoline - a bit weak and wobbly but also heavy and leaden.  The only thing to do was tell my legs to move and just get it done.  I wasn't trying to put any distance on my legs, just get used to going from one to the next, so I told myself to take it slow and just keep it steady.

It was a long mile out to the turn around but I was surprised to see my pace was decent.  Seeing 10:30 on my Garmin instead of the 12:00 I felt like I was running gave me a boost on the way back.

I finished the workout - 8 miles on the bike, 2 miles running - in just over one hour and I felt good about it.  I can't say it was fun or that I would ever choose to do a brick workout for fun but at least, now, I know I can do it.

Luray Tri here I come!

Daily Dozen:
8 miles - bike
2 miles - run

1 comment:

Jenn ZiBerna said...

Yay for brick workouts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails