Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Washed Away

One the schedule this morning was a 3 mile recovery run and I needed it. Yesterday was a tough day – 7 miles at pace, circuit training during my lunch break and then swimming laps after work. On top of those three workouts yesterday, I went to sleep a little later than usual last night so I was tired, in several ways, when I woke up this morning. On top of vaguely sore legs, droopy eyelids and a lack-of-sleep induced brain fog, it was also raining – 3 easy miles was probably the most I could muster.

As I stepped outside, wearing shorts and a long-sleeve t-shirt, it was drizzling but seemed to be letting up. As I walked to the bike path my legs, eyelids and brain seemed to come around to the idea of an easy run and I thought, “Well, this shouldn’t be too bad.”

I hit the start button my Garmin and off I went in to the cold, dark drizzle.

I hadn’t run more than a half a mile before it started raining harder and before long my shirt and hat were soaked. Slow and steady, and now wet as well, I ran along the bike trail, happy for the brief shelter offered as I ran under the overpasses. I’d shake the rain off my arms and wipe down the brim of my hat, which seems like a silly thing to do knowing that in 2 seconds I’d be right back out in the rain.

The rain energized me as I hit the turnaround point 1.5 miles away. I wasn’t tempted to go any further but I was also a little surprised to hit the halfway point so soon. Running felt good.

On the way back I hit a few puddles, tried my best to avoid them, soaked my shoes anyway, eventually gave up and splashed right through them. My tired muscles and sleepiness were washed away completely by the time I finished the run

Daily Dozen:
3 miles – easy
Upper body & core strength training @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails