Monday, April 11, 2011

Morning Runners

This morning was the first time this year I was able to run in shorts and a T-shirt and I decided to extend my planned 3 mile run in to a 5 miler so I could enjoy the beautiful morning weather as long as possible. Even though my pace was slow and my legs were feeling the 14-milers from Saturday, it was a perfect morning run. For the most part, I had the bike path to myself and it was hard not to imagine that I had to whole morning, the whole world to myself.

I’ve written before about how much I savor my early morning runs – finishing before the sun has a chance to rise, before most people even bother to hit the snooze button – and it is a run like this morning’s run that reaffirm that for me.

I wish I could say, “everyone should be a morning runner” and mean it, but I don’t. If everyone started running at 4:30 in the morning, the sense of secrecy I feel as I pass the three or four other runners I see that early would disappear. The sense of accomplishment I feel as I get in to work knowing that my official start to the day was hours ago would still be there but the feeling that that accomplishment is mine to relish privately would be diminished.

So, I say, everyone keep running after work. Fill the bike paths and sidewalks to capacity. Through your actions, spread the word that running is awesome. Just don’t decide to become early morning runners. (I have a feeling that I’m not in danger of this happening any time soon.)

Daily Dozen:
5 miles @ easy pace
Walk – hills on the treadmill & Strength Training – push-ups, lunges @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails