Thursday, March 12, 2009

Forced Foot Commute

The Bad News:

I slept horribly last night. I was tossing and turning – first, I was too hot and then I was too cold. My mind was racing (a former boss contacted me; the reminder of that job and all the craziness it entailed brought back all the frustration) and I couldn’t seem to turn it off.

After not sleeping for 2 hours, I made the decision to skip the four mile run I had planned for the morning. There was no point in running if it meant sacrificing sleep and feeling horrible and tired the whole day. I cut my losses and slept in.

The Good News (three-fold):

First, my foot hasn’t hurt at all today and it feels strong. Hopefully, the weakness and pain yesterday was just an anomaly. Second, the person I am suppose to run next weekend’s half marathon with will be able to run. He had a pain in his foot that he thought might take him out of the race but after seeing a doctor, he just needs a few days rest and has the go-ahead to run. Yippee! Lastly, today’s planned run may not be entirely lost.

As I was getting ready this morning, I had the thought, “well, I could run when I get home after work” but realistically, that never works for me. Once I get home from work, I have a tendency to get lazy and not want to leave. However, after this somewhat shameful recognition of my own laziness, I had another thought, “what about running home from work?”

Why not run home from work? Now that we’re in daylight savings, it will still be light out. I used to do it all the time at my previous job. It may be longer than I planned today (I’m estimating 5-6 miles) but I’ll take it slow. Also, I’ll have my metro card with me so I can abandon the mission if I need to at any point.

The one downside is that I’ll have to run home with my backpack but that’s what it is made for and is the reason I bought it. Trial by fire (see above mention of metro card). Again, I go back to, why not?

I’m looking upon the frustratingly sleepless beginning to my night last night as a blessing in disguise. It has pushed me to commute by foot.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails