Monday, March 16, 2009

Motivation

I’ve been slacking off on cross-training and strength training lately and this morning I finally made it a point to get some quality time in the gym.

I exercised on the elliptical for 25 minutes (15 going forward, 10 going backwards). It wasn’t a strenuous workout but my heart rate did rise, which is the point. Next, I went through my BROCCLS strength training workout and it felt great to do some solid strength training. I am feeling some DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) from yesterday’s long run so I skipped the lunges and squats.

One of the aspects of cross-training that I look forward to is that I can usually read a magazine while I’m on one of the machines (walking on the treadmill, elliptical, and bike). Ever since I started doing all my runs outside, I haven’t had been able to read my magazines (Runner’s World, Fitness & Wired) and cross-training presents a good opportunity to catch up on some reading. This morning I read part of the way through the most recent Runner’s World.

Honestly, it is what motivates me to get out of bed early on cross-training days. It struck me as funny during the workout this morning: what a strange thing to motivate me to do cross-training! Here are some additional motivations I could come up with:
  • Sometimes I am motivated by others like when I see other people on the trail and I keep running a little bit further than my intended distance just so they don’t see me stop.
  • Sometimes I think I keep running on a daily basis just so I have a “thing” that distinguishes me from most people.
  • Usually, I eat healthier in front of Mike than I would if left to my own devices (popcorn for dinner is a reality when Mike is on travel), which is strange given Mike’s (horrible) eating habits you would think it would be the opposite.
  • I don’t feel guilty listening to cheesy pop music (think Brittany Spears, Janet Jackson and Rhianna) when I’m working out because I can use the excuse that the songs are the “right” tempo. I think it is the only reason I use my iPod when I’m in the gym and it has been the sole reason I’ve gone to the gym on more than one occasion.

Whatever the motivation, as long as it keeps getting me in the gym and out on the road, I’m happy. I wonder what quirky things motivate other people?

Today’s Daily Dozen:
Elliptical – 25 mins., moderate intensity
Strength Training – BROCCLS (minus the LS)

Injury update: My foot felt a little weak when I began my 15-miler yesterday but once I was warmed up it felt better. For the remainder of the day, I had some soreness in my shin (I think because I was slightly compensating for my foot and changed my gait in the beginning) and my foot was tender to the touch. I am happy to report; however, today I haven’t had any pain. So far, so good (but my fingers remain crossed).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails