Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Born to Run

This morning I ran a hilly out-and-back, round-trip 5 miles at a fast pace (being sure to charge up the hills - no slacking off). It was a great run. My legs felt light and easy. I was focused and determined to tackle the hills with strength and power.

I was exhausted by the end of it but in a good way - in that heart pounding, grasping for air, muscles burning kind of way. In short, I felt proud.

After taking a few weeks off from running after the Vermont City marathon, and slowly adding miles to my weekly total, my running has been exhilarating and strong. I'm enjoying my runs in ways I never have before - thrilled to be outside and running

I recently finished reading the book, Born To Run by Christopher McDougall. I feel very inspired by the book and it has shown in my running. The book is about a tribe of Mexican Indians called the Tarahumara who are known for their running endurance. Reading about this cultures love of running made me realize that not only should I enjoy how I feel after a run but also I should be having fun while running. This isn't something I've strived for, as contradictory as that sounds.

I hit the bike paths each more thinking, OK, Becki 5 miles to go today, if I get it done, I can be proud to have started the day in such a positive way. The reward was the result not the run.

Reading Born To Run made me realize how misguided that thinking could be - why run if you don't enjoy the act of running, the author seemed be asking me. Why don't you have smile on your face while you cruise the paths of Arlington? Why is it that the smile only appears once you've stopped running?

The author had additional reasons to write about the Tarahumara but this is the thing that struck a chord for me - enjoy the run. I like how simple that is. Just enjoy the run – back straight, eyes scanning the horizon, hips forward, arms pumping like pistons, feet barely skimming the ground, kicking toward my butt as my knees circle forward all with a smile on my face. Enjoy the run. I've taken this sentiment to heart the past few runs and it seems to suit me well.

This morning's run was so much fun that I was disappointed to see it end, I wanted to keep running. That’s how I should feel at the end of all my runs – happy, exhausted and craving more.

Today's Daily Dozen:
5 hilly miles @ tempo

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails