Wednesday, July 15, 2009

In Good Company

I enjoy running by myself. I love my early morning runs especially when the sun has not quite come up and there is no one else on the bike paths. It feels like those moments, the path, the entire day belongs to me and no one else. I indulge my inner two year old on these runs; I’m usually just not willing to share.

However, I’ve made some exceptions lately and I have to say, it’s been nice.

Last Friday, while my parents were visiting, my Mom borrowed my bike and tagged along on my run. We hit the bike path early, the sun not entirely up and set off – mother on bike, daughter on feet. We chatted every so often but we spent more time with her riding slowly behind me, me leading the way – 2 miles out, 2 miles back.

It was fun. I felt proud to have my Mom tag along; proud that she wanted to actively glimpse into my running world. She has been a staunch supporter of my running since I began, asking about my runs, how I was feeling, what races I had coming up and cheering loudly from the sidelines at my races when she could. However, this time, on our morning adventure, I was truly letting her in to my world. She experienced all those early morning things I love about my run – the quiet, the occasional passing cyclist or runner, the sun brightening the day the longer we were out, the exhilaration of starting the day with a good workout.

Now when I tell her about my runs, she can picture me running my hills, following the bike path among the trees, the brief moments when no cars are zooming down Route 66 and you can imagine you’ve somehow run far away from the city in just a short time. Now we have a shared experience that goes beyond just that single run.

Additionally, a friend who recently completed her first marathon and I have been meeting up once a week in the evenings for a workout. These days are usually doubles for since I’ve already run in the morning but I’ve really enjoyed the experience of running with her. Even though her running pace is only slightly slower than mine, she is still working on her endurance and following a run/walk pattern. She wants to get stronger so she enjoys running with me because I push her to run longer and I enjoy the company and treat these outings as recovery runs.

I’m still selfish about my running but it has been rewarding sharing it with people who understand it. I can’t say I’m ready to give up all my lone runs but I would also be disappointed if I didn’t have someone to share these experiences with every now and again.

Daily Dozen
Recovery Day – Light workout on Recumbent Bike & stretching @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails