Thursday, July 30, 2009

Part II – Why I Run? Because I Can.

It may have been my Dad and other influences as a child that provided an introduction to running; however, the reason I actually started running is because of how easy it was to start.

For years, I had been bemoaning the fact that I didn’t have a hobby. I didn’t collect anything or do anything through which I was able to feel comfortable defining myself. I am reader and I enjoy movies and I love being active but I wasn’t passionate about any of these things. When I’m not reading a book, I’m not finding out about the next good book or following an author’s every action. I am a fan of movies and certain actors but again, I don’t have the interest to keep tabs on the industry.

I didn’t have a passion in life, something that was mine, something through which I could explain parts of me. But, I wanted one.

When the idea to run a marathon to celebrate my 26th birthday entered my head, the reason I followed through with that crazy idea was because running was something I could already do. It was easy. I could run at the time and all I had to do was run longer.

This isn’t to say that I think running is easy; however, it is an incredibly easy sport to start. All I needed was comfortable shoes and clothes and I could go out and run. I read books. I read magazines. I read and consulted online forums. As I increased my running I was able to increase my knowledge of running. I didn’t need a coach. I didn’t need any fancy equipment. I didn’t need a team. I just needed me and the singular aspect of long-distance running appeals to me.

Of course, I made mistakes and learned loads of things (and continue to do both) but I had all the resources at my fingertips to correct what was wrong and continue running.

I am passionate about running. I read about it and write about it when I’m not actually running. I continue to run because it continues to be easy.

Daily Dozen:
4.61 miles @ easy pace

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails