Friday, July 17, 2009

Run Commute

This morning I ran to work. I commuted on the power of my own to two feet. I’ve run home from work on multiple occasions but this is the first time I attempted to commute the other way.

The Short Story: I woke up. I ran from home to work. I made it.

The Story with more Details: My first impression of becoming a run commuter is that it is all about logistics. Before I stepped out of the door this morning, I had to consider how to get from home to work with everything I would need for the day – shower stuff (towel, soap, etc.), work clothes including shoes, and lunch. Shower stuff and clothes for work I brought to work the previous day and I decided to pack my lunch in my Camelbak (without the bladder) and carry it with me on the run.

My second impression is that was humid this morning. I was drenched in sweat by the time I got to work and there is no way I could commute this way without having a shower available at work. I might have to start carrying a water bottle with me as well throughout the summer, which may look a little weird since I have a Camelbak as well. I made it to work just fine without water during the run but it would have been nice.

The run itself went well. My legs felt a little tired this morning, which was a bummer because I was looking forward to a really good run on my first run commute, but it was a good run nonetheless. I love the route I ran – east on the Custis Bike Trail, scoot through Rosslyn over to the Iwo Jima Memorial and around Arlington National Cemetary, across the Memorial Bridge to DC the Lincoln Memorial getting closer, in front of Lincoln overlooking the Washington Monument and the Reflecting Pool, up the north side of the Mall past the Vietnam Memorial, the Constitutional Gardens, the World War II Memorial, the Ellipse and White House, past the American History, Natural History and National Archives buildings, finally leaving the Mall and scooting over Pennsylvania Avenue on to Chinatown and finally work.

Regardless of how many times I run in DC it always strikes me as an amazing experience to run through so much history on a regular basis. My commute reminded me how lucky I am.

I had allotted myself 2 hours to get to work but the 7.6 miles only took me 1 hour 20 minutes. I had plenty of time to drop my pack at my desk, go down to the gym to stretch jump in the shower to get cleaned up and then get dressed for work. Even with all of that, I was still 30 minutes early to work.

Maybe I’ll let myself sleep in a bit longer next week. Or, maybe I’ll just take a longer route!

My intention is to run commute once a week, usually Fridays. I love the idea of it – the self-sufficiency and “fringe-element” aspects. I love the anticipation and preparation that has to go in to pulling it off. I’m looking forward to next week.

Daily Dozen:
7.6 miles run commute to work

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails