Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

I'm having a little trouble believing it is 2009. I know everyone says it but, the year went by so quickly and quite a lot changed. I got married, left one job, got another job, trained to run two marathons, didn't run either one, sat out for two months because of an injury, started a blog, and restarted my running. I visited a Caribbean island and added another state to my list of places I've experienced. I went hiking, camping and even tried cross country skiing. The year may have gone by quick but I was still able to fill it to the brim.

My resolution this year is simply: Be Consistent.

If I'm consistent (and smart) with my running I'll end the year a much stronger and more experienced runner than I am beginning it. The key will be to avoid injury and this is where the running smart comes in to play. In order for me to achieve consistency, I have to be willing to sit out a day if something is nagging rather than try to run through it and possibly make it worse. I can't be a slave to my running schedule.

However, I also need to stick to my schedule and not be tempted to do more just because I'm feeling good. I think this stupid optimism is what got me in trouble this past year and I need to play it smarter. If I want to be consistent over the long run, not just this year but in terms of being a lifetime runner, I need to run smarter.

I am also going to try to make more consistent choices when it comes to nutrition and food. I'm not suggesting that I will eat healthy all of the time but rather that I be more conscience of the choices I do make. I shouldn't expect that my pants aren't going to be tight after wolfing down a plate of nachos if I don't follow that meal with several that are healthy and nutritious.

The last aspect of my life I want to focus on being consistent about is spending (and as a result, saving). I don't need any more clothes, the ones I have are just fine. I don't need any more shoes, I have plenty. I don't need to buy more things, in fact, I would like to get rid of the excess I do own.

Finally, I want to go on record with some things I would like to accomplish this year:
  • Run a marathon or two. It doesn't matter my time as long as I finish them feeling strong and empowered.
  • Write a short story.
  • Try something new - swimming, ice skating, cycling, ultra racing, mountain climbing??
  • Buy a house.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails