Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rainy Run

My footsteps sound different as they hit the wet pavement this morning. The cars are louder as I run along the portion of the bike path that is under an overpass. In fact, the sound of the cars zooming down the dark, drenched highway is near deafening and I can no longer hear my own footsteps or the keys jingling in my pocket. The Garmin beeps an alert for the first mile split but it was lost in the din.


As I began my three mile run this morning, running through a steady rain, I started thinking about how running in the rain is a different experience. It is different on a sensory level because of how it sounds, feels, and looks. The sound of this morning's run is just what I noticed first. There are fewer people out on the trails this morning because of the rain and in fact, I got so comfortable with the solitude that when I did hear someone say, "On your left!" I practically jumped off the path from fright. The voice was so out of place amid the raindrops hitting the pavement, cars swooshing by and my wet footsteps as I unsuccessfully navigate the puddles, splashing through them.


As I am writing this, I am also wondering about all the sounds that were missing from this morning's run compared to a normal (read: drier) run. No dogs were barking or birds tweeting, welcoming the coming sun. Without people, there were no bike tires whizzing passed or almost-whispered conversations that I only catch bits of as I slide passed, "Well, I told her, there was no way I was going…"


After I go back home, it wasn't until then that I realized I was soaked but not in the usual way. Normally, when I come home I am wet from sweating and so, wet from the inside out. However, on a rainy day, it is the opposite. My entire outer layer was soaked, especially the front thighs of my running tights and I had no idea until I got home. I was more or less oblivious to the feel of the rain while I was running and didn't notice it until I was inside, out of the rain.


Also, running in the rain, while I don't seem to notice the wetness of the rain, really gets me jazzed to be out running. Something about facing the rain and still going out for a run, makes me feel powerful. It makes me feel like there isn't a thing out there that could stop me and as a result, some of my best runs are runs in the rain. This morning I took off for the first mile to warm up and felt great. By the time I realized I was on mile two, I decided to let loose and pushed the pace, it felt great. I was zooming down the bike path. I ran fast this morning, much faster than I normally would on an easy day.


The look of a rainy day run is unusual, especially when I wear my glasses, and I like it. My run this morning was viewed through rain-speckled glasses. The streetlights and car headlights reflected and refracted in the drops on my glasses and every five minutes or so, I would have to use my gloves like a windshield wiper to be able to see. Towards the end of the run my glasses even started to fog up on me. I can only imagine what I look like to the people in the passing cars.


Needless to say, my run this morning was invigorating and exhilarating. It was a break from the routine and forces me to hear, feel and see my run and route differently. I ran well and I ran fast because it was an old experience made new.


Today's Daily Dozen:

3.01 miles run in the rain, 29:25

Walking on treadmill w/ inclines @ lunch hour, very light

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails