Thursday, January 29, 2009

Snow Run - Not to be

Unfortunately, this week’s snow didn’t fall during the “right” time for me to get in a good snow run. I ran 3.5 miles Tuesday morning, just as the snow was starting to fall and really it was more like tiny hale than snow. The crunch under my feet was more like running on gravel than the soft, muted crunch of fluffy snow.

The next morning I woke up, got bundled up for a snowy winter run, took three steps outside, slipped and slid and made a quick decision to head right back up to the apartment, change in to shorts and hit the treadmill. I did 4 miles with a one mile warm-up, 2 miles at tempo pace (9:30 for the first mile and 8:54 for the second) and a one mile cool-down. It had been a while since I hit the gym for a run in the mornings.

This morning, Thursday morning, I took a chance and headed outdoors for my final run of the work week, aiming for 3 miles. I saw the state of some of the sidewalk on the lesser used side streets and decided to run an out-and-back along the Wilson Boulevard. For the most part, I could stick to the sidewalks and keep a close eye on the icy patches to avoid any slipping; however, there were a few stretches that forced me on to the street. It actually turned out to be a good way to ensure that this morning’s run was nice and easy even if I did stretch it to 3.38 miles.

Interestingly, I saw more people running along Wilson Boulevard this morning than I do most mornings. This isn’t my normal route so I wonder if the street is usually run this much or if more people really were out this morning. Were other runners forced inside to use the treadmill yesterday and therefore, taking their revenge this morning? Regardless of these questions, it is nice to see so many people starting their day in such a positive, active way.

The forecast for the coming weekend and beyond is sunny with some rain coming mid-week next week. It doesn’t look like we’re going to be revisited by the snow anytime soon, which is disappointing as I was looking forward to a snowy run. Maybe it’ll happen in February?


Today's Daily Dozen:
Run - 3.38 miles
Core Workout @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails