Saturday, November 8, 2008

Early Morning, Empty Gym

It's early on a Saturday morning. I always wake up early on Saturdays, which means I almost always have the gym to myself on the weekends.

Since I'm healing from what I suspect is a stress fracture in my right foot caused by overtraining for a fall marathon, I've been hitting the gym in my apartment building lately to use the treadmill (walking only BUT lots of inclines), the free weights and occasionally the recumbent bike. Being injured and not being able to do what I love to do -- running -- has forced me to reintroduce myself to opportunities of a gym.

This morning with the gym to myself I hopped on the treadmill, turned up the music on my Shuffle, opened the latest edition of Runner's World, and sang along as I upped the incline for an hour long powerwalk (occasionally increasing the incline and speed to get my heart rate up and the sweat going). These early morning Saturday treadmill sessions in the gym have provided me with the opportunity to perfect the fine art of treadmill dancing, something I could never do when I am out running. I look at it as a way to work the arms as well as legs.

Towards the end of the hour another Saturday morning early-riser showed up to the gym and that put an end to the dancing and singing. Somewhat sheepishly, I finished off my powerwalk, cooled down, and hit the weights for full body strength training workout, I call Broccolis (well, really, BROCCLS but its close enough -- Bench press, Row, Overhead pull, Curl, Crunch, Lunge, Squat. I guess I need find another "O" and an "I" exercise). Preferring free weights to the machines, I hammered out the upper body work but struggled with the lunges and squats. Taking off a month from running and weights severly impacted my fitness.

Happy, energized and a bit smelly I returned home...just in time to see Mike off for some Billy Goat Trail Rock Scrambling. I am bummed I can't join him but I think my foot might be able to handle it next weekend! However, I'm thrilled to have once again had a whole gym to myself for a little while early on a Saturday morning. It's a great way to greet the day!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails