Thursday, November 20, 2008

Strength Training = Strength, Who Knew

The act of running doesn't necessarily make me feel strong - I feel free, I feel happy and I feel like I am making a difference in my health - but a sense of strength doesn't enter in to it until I have finished a run and I have time to reflect on the distance I've covered. The same goes for hiking and biking; I don't feel strong until I've accomplished something. I've come to realize that I exercise mostly for the feeling I get afterwards.

Strength Training, however, is the exception. I actually feel a sense of strength while lifing weights or doing body-weight exercises (push-ups, chin-ups, squats, lunges, etc.). When I eke out those last couple reps, I feel empowered. Even though my muscles are taxed, in those moments of strength training I feel like I could accomplish any feat.

I could run a 24 hour race. I could compete in an Ironman and give the world's strongest Strong Man a run for his money. I can get that fit, toned body I want. I can eat healthy - all the time, make all the right decisions. I can come back from injury a stronger runner. I can lead the long, active life I envision. It all seems possible as I lift those weights for one more bicep curl or push myself for one more lunge.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails