Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Lunchtime Workout

I started working at a new job recently and one of the aspects of the job that I like is that the building has a gym. While the gym isn't "Health Club" sized or filled with the latest and greatest equipment it has everything I need to workout and then some.

I've decided to take advantage of the work gym three times a week - Monday, Wednesday and Friday - and use the time to focus on strength training. All too often I have the intention to get in a lower, upper and/or core workout after a run or cross-training (anything other than running) but I end up either rushing through it, cutting it short or simply running out of time and skipping it altogether. My lunchtime workout will be focused on getting a stronger body so that when I do get back in to running, I'll be one mean, lean running machine!

Today was my first time using my lunch hour to get in a workout. I warmed up with an easy walk on the treadmill for 5 miles, about .27 miles and then grabbed an exercise ball for a good core workout. I found this core workout in a Runner's World article about two moms, and old friends, who were chronicling their efforts to train for the San Fransisco Women's Marathon. It is a series of 8 exercises - 6 incorporate the ball:

Squats (ball against the wall)
Push ups (feet balancing on ball - tougher than it sounds)
Lunges (back leg on ball, a great balance challenge - alternate legs)
Plank (no ball)
Tricep Dips (no ball)
Crunch (on ball)
Back Extension (on ball)
Twisting Crunch (on ball)

I do 2 sets of 15 reps with about 30 secs of rest in between (I am up to a 30 sec. hold on the plank). My goal is to work up to 3 sets of 15 but, until now, I've never had the time to dedicate to really focusing on strength training. The trick to this core workout is to actively engage the core with each exercise and really concentrate on the core. If I do that, I get a good workout and I can usually feel it the next day.

Since I had about 10 minutes left until I had to get cleaned up and head back to work, I hopped on the Stair Climber (a machine no longer available in my apartment gym) and ended the lunchtime work out with a nice little sweat.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails