Wednesday, November 12, 2008

An Injured Runner

I am currently recovering from an injury that has prevented me from running. I *believe* I have a stress fracture in one of the outside bones on my right foot due to overtraining for a marathon and this injury has stopped me from running (with the exception of one foolish incident) for over a month.

The reason I say "believe" is because I have not had this confirmed by a doctor, mostly because rest has relieved the pain and it is my understanding that there really isn't much a doctor can do for a stress fracture other than prescribe rest.

I felt a sharp pain in my right foot while running the Army Ten Miler (ATM) in early October, still finished the race but ended up hobbling and limping for the next three days. I wasn't sure what had happened but I knew that resting it was the only thing that was alleviating the pain - drugs and ice had no effect. At first, I told myself that I would be up and running in no time, after all, I had another ten mile race and a marathon planned. As the days went by, it became evident that I would have to nix the marathon plans but I still foolishly attempted the ten mile race (family bragging rights were at stake so I had to give it shot). I only made it 4 miles through that race before the pain became sharp and I dropped out (my only DNF so far - bummer). I keep telling myself that I planned it smart but the DNF still stings.

However, three weeks from the race and I've had zero pain, ache or discomfort in my foot for three straight days now. I am very much encouraged by this improvement but I have publicly vowed that I will not be running for the entire month of November. Yet, my outlook on running has certainly improved and I'm starting to come up with a running plan/schedule for building my running back up so I can run the National Half Marathon in March.

If I can just hold myself to the self-imposed running ban, I know I'll be back to running and happy to be doing something I love. In the mean time, the treadmill incline button and the free weights have become the best friends I am using the make my formal best friend, running, jealous. Think its working?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails