Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Rest - the Necessary Evil

I despise rest days! That's all I can think as I sit here, with my achy body and lack of energy. I don't feel like this on the days I get in a workout in the morning. I just feel blah! I know, I know. A rest day is supposed to be a good thing but that doesn't mean it feels good to me. I sit here and I ache and I imagine my muscles deteriorating, slowing melting away.

Rationally, I know this isn't happening and I've read plenty of articles about the microscoptic muscle tears that need to be rested in order to rebuild stronger than before, but that doesn't mean my imagination doesn't run wild when I'm not physically running wild.

Recovery days are meant to rejuvinating. This is the time when my body takes a need break to allow me to continue pushing it for another level but then, how come I feel like such a sloth? I slept in this morning, I ate a healthy breakfast chock full of protein, I'm drinking water, I'm grazing to maintain a steady stream of healthy nutrition - how come I feel like crap?

Is it psychosomatic? All I can think about is the walk I am going to take over my lunch break and how much better I'll feel afterwards. Is this what muscles feel like while they're healing and repairing? Saturday morning runs, lately early morning gym workouts, are often the best run/workout of the week.

I prefer to think of it as withdraw. Running, exercise, activity, my body in motion is a drug and I always want more, more, more. This one day a week I force myself to "Just Say No" to that high and my body reacts and craves it.

With this injury I haven't felt right for a while and maybe this explains why. I'm suffering from a sort of withdraw from running habit, I've found different activities that promise the same results but they've just been disappointing and I still crave running. Even when I am running, once a week I go through a self-imposed ban. Maybe that's actually what keeps me coming back for me. Maybe that's why I wake up early on Saturday to get my fix when the rest of the people my age are sleeping off their Friday night. Maybe that's why I all I think about is that first run post-injury.

But for now and once a week, I'll heed the advice of the experts and cut myself off -- rest is good, repeat, rest is good...and Saturday morning is even better.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails