Saturday, December 6, 2008

Hike: Raven Rocks Trail

I stumbled on to a great website this past week - HikingUpward - and found a hike called Raven Rocks that looked like fun. We debated whether the elevation changes (3 steep ascents and descents along the way) would be too strenuous. I'm so glad we decided to face the challenge because this hike was worth it.

We drive a bit over an hour west of DC to get to the trail head in the Blue Ridge Mountains. As we started along the trail, which is really just a section of the Appalachian Trail, and followed the white blazes, I realized that this was actually the first time I've hiked on the AT! I've been sporadically and slightly obsessed with the AT since I read a book by a thru-hiker last year. I don't know if I would ever have the courage to put my life on hold and attempt a thru-hike but I think about doing it and I enjoy reading about people who have done it.

Anyway, I was excited to be on the AT as we made our way along the trail. It was a cold, cloudy day but I quickly warmed up as we hit the first of three ascents. At the top was a nice little overlook that gave us an excuse to stop and catch our breath. The trail was a fun hike because their were plenty of big rocks to navigate, rolling terrain and switchbacks. It was an active hike, which I enjoy.

After catching our breath, we continued on the trail, shortly hitting the steepest ascent. I enjoy hills in hiking and in running. The inclines and declines use different muscles than flat terrain and even when the leg muscles are burning and the lunges are working in overdrive, it feels good to get the blood pumping and I love that feeling of accomplishment once I've reached the top. Not one to shy away from an incline, this trail would test that enjoyment several times but I have a motto - "Steady Forward Motion." Just keep moving until you reach the top otherwise you'll still have more uphill to tackle once you've rested.

Breathless and bounding from rock to rock, we made it to Raven Rocks, a 2.7 mile hike, in approximately one hour ten minutes. Looking out over the Shenandoah Valley toward the Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance, even on an overcast day, made for an impressive sight. Despite the view, we didn't linger for very long at the top because a cold wind was blowing. We quickly headed back down the AT the way we came.
Near the top, the trail dips into West Virginia and had a sign to mark the border. After leaving Raven Rocks to head back, we noticed the other side of the sign -- Welcome to Virginia...Tennessee Border 535 miles!!!!









One of the things I enjoy about hiking, especially with Mike, are the topics of conversation and the return trip would not disappoint. We tried to figure out why some of the trees were charred (lightening, maybe?), whether trees make a sound when they fall in the woods and we aren't around to hear them and whether or not that proved I was a schizophrenic (I hope not).

With this conversation, our return trip seemed to fly and we made it back to the car in just over an hour. The trail to Raven Rocks and back was a strenuous but fun trail and it gets 5 stars in my book. It'll be fun to go back during the spring and summer to see how different it is with the streams running and the sun shining through the leaves.



Today's Daily Dozen:
Run - 3.96 miles, 4 min. run/1 min. walk x 7 intervals
5.5 miles hike - strenuous

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails