Monday, December 1, 2008

Once (Again) A Runner

I was a bit apprehensive as I pulled on my running tights and vest this morning. Is it possible for someone to forget how to run?

As I headed out the door into the cold, dark morning, I was struck by the fact that the last time I headed out for a run before work, I was in shorts and a T-shirt and now, two months later, I'm in tights, a short sleeve short, a long sleeve shrit, a puffy vest, beanie and gloves. The last time I headed out for an early morning run I did 9 miles with ease and here I was, nervous about 30 minutes!

I told myself to put aside those negative thoughts and set my Garmin to an Interval workout - 2 minutes of running, 1 minute of rest, 10 times. I walked the familiar route to my usual starting point for a 3-miler and the routine of it comforted me. Of course I would be able to do this run, I've done it a million times before.

And then, I ran. Two minutes on, 1 minute off. I ran. I walked. I repeated. The running felt harder than I remember it; my breathing was heavier and my legs didn't feel as light but my foot, or any other body part, never protested.

As I got in to the rhythm of running and walking, it struck me that 2 months ago I was working at a previous job and woke up to run an hour earlier than I did this morning. This morning the traffic was louder, there were more people out and about, and it didn't seem as still and calm at 6 o'clock than I remember it at 5 o'clock in the morning.

Then, the run was over. 10 run/walk intervals went by quickly and I felt relief as I cooled-down on the walk home. My apprehension and nerves seemed a little silly but I am happy to be a runner again.

Today's Daily Dozen:
2.75 miles - run/walk
Strength Training workout @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails