Monday, December 8, 2008

Run on a Cold, Winter Morning

I was practically gliding over the streets this morning. My stride felt effortless, breathing was steady and strong, and feet were light and quick. About halfway through this morning's run, I realized that I should be more thankful for rest days because when I actually rest when I'm scheduled to rest, my run the following day is usually a good one. (Obvious, yes…Does that mean I always remember it, no).


As I ran through the dark streets of my neighborhood, I was thankful to be able to run once again. I missed being outside before the sun came up, silently slipping through neighborhoods, exploring under the cover darkness. There is a whole different world going on before the sun illuminates the world. I share the trails and streets not only with a (very) few runners, cyclists and dog walkers but also with the people who deliver the newspapers papers, the street cleaners and the men making bread deliveries to the restaurants.


I feel almost conspiratorial because I'm one of a few people who are experiencing this time of day in this way. The day is still asleep and so are most of the people. Those who are awake are mostly on their way to work. How many of them are exhilarated with what they are doing at that exact moment?


I'm running with a secret and as much I love to run, I'm not so sure I want to share these mornings with too many other runners. Everyone else can stick to the treadmills and gyms on their lunch hour or evening runs. I want to keep the morning run for my own. More people try to join this clandestine running movement during the spring and summer when the weather is warmer and the sun comes up earlier but as fall turns to winter they rarely stick around.


They're missing the cold, raw winter mornings when running fast isn't just a desire but a necessity for generating warmth. Do they know how satisfying it is to run, not because of perfect conditions, but in spite of them?


Today's Daily Dozen:

Run - 3.05 miles (5 min. run/1 min. walk x 7 intervals)

1 hour walk @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails