Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Race Anticipation

There is a certain amount of anticipation and excitement that precedes and follows a race registration. I have found this to be especially true for races in the DC Metro area because they are so high profile. Last year, the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler filled up its online registration numbers in 4 hours! Ten thousand runners signed up within four hours of the online registration opening. Incredible!

At 7:50 this morning, I logged on to the race's website and completed my registration for the 2009 race and I'm looking forward to running it with a friend, Katie. I run alone 99% of the time and it is usually early morning so I feel like I have the trails and roads to myself. I could go anywhere and discover anything while I'm out on my daily adventures. I love the solitude and treasure being alone with my thoughts.

However, I tend to get lonely during races. Being in a crowd of thousands of runners without someone to run with makes me lonely but being on a nearly deserted bike trail is soothing. I look forward to running races with someone else but I have so few people in my life who run so those races are always something I look forward to with a sense of eagerness.

One of my favorite races was a 5K I did last December in Dover, DE with my in-laws. My MIL had run a 44 minute 5K the previous summer and was looking to break her time so my FIL and I paced her through it. It was so much to run the race with them and I was so excited for her when she crossed the finish line in 38 minutes!! It was my first 5K and that 38 minute PR stood for several months. I am prouder of those 38 minutes than I am of my current "actual" PR of 26 minutes.

Katie is aiming for a 90 minute 10 miler in April and I hope to be able to pace her to her goal. (Fingers crossed that my pace really has increased and that I won't actually be holding her back!)

Today's Daily Dozen:
Circuit Training in the gym
  • Warm up walking briskly for 3 minutes.
  • Walk easy at a slight incline for 12 minutes
  • Perform one set of lunges - 15 on each leg
  • 15-20 push ups (full or modified on your knees)
  • Walk at a comfortably hard effort level & high incline for 3 minutes
  • Perform one set of Overhead Press & Squat - 15 repetitions
  • Perform one set of 20 Lateral Step-Up with Kick on each leg
  • Walk at a comfortably hard effort level & high incline for 3 minute
  • Perform One Arm Row (or Lat Pull/Row Machine) 8-12 reps
  • Perform one set of Running Planks* - 15 on each side
  • Run 15 minutes at a comfortably hard effort level
2.5 mile walk on the treadmill @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails