Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Be Prepared

One of the things I’ve noticed about non-runners and runners who run almost exclusively on the treadmill in comparison to runners who run almost exclusively outside is the perception of what constitutes bad weather.

Fifty degrees and slightly overcast is perfect running weather. Rain usually isn’t an issue. Even cold and snow can be a good thing. However, to non-runners or runners who view the temperature controlled environment of a treadmill, these conditions are believed to be ideal.

This contradiction hit me as I was cooling down and walking home after my run this morning. I ran 3.5 miles in a light, wet snow that was hardly sticking to the ground but when it did it was mostly slush. Whenever I run in snow like this I imagine that this is what it must be like to run inside a snow globe because the wet snow resembles glitter as it falls past street lights along the bike path. The idea always makes me smile.

However, it struck me that most people wouldn’t see my run this morning as a “good” one. Most people would hear early morning run in wet snow and assume it took some massive feat of willpower that brought out to the streets this morning. Non-runners and treadmill runners may think the act of running in this morning’s conditions is impressive, or insane, or some combination of the two.

I started thinking that with the right gear I can run in just about any weather and enjoy it. To steal from the Boy Scouts, “be prepared” is my motto for enjoying running all year round.

In fact, braving the elements in running and discovering that not only can I “brave” them but can have a good run in spite, and even sometimes because, of them has given me the necessary mindset to seek out other activities in less than ideal situations. Hiking during the winter just required some additional layers. Skiing? Running tights and waterproof pants worked great this time, whereas I remember being very good last time. Inauguration in temperatures in the twenties? No problem!

Last year, I might have shied away from these things during the winter because I was afraid of the cold but I have nothing to fear from the cold. Or even the heat for that matter. As long as I have the right tools and equipment, temperature and weather do not make a run good or bad.

Today’s Daily Dozen:
3.5 miles run

Core workout @ lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails