Friday, February 27, 2009

Jealousy

Most days, I like to jump off the Metro a stop early and walk the half mile home. It is a nice walk and the past few evenings have been nice and relatively warmer. I’ve seen quite a few runners on the sidewalks of Clarendon as I walk home and I’m always hit with a moment of jealous mixed with a little guilt that I’m not out there running too.

I’ll admit it; I am often jealous of other runners when I see them out running while I drive or walk by them. However, the thought struck me as so funny last night. Why in the world am I jealous? I had such a great, effortless run that morning. What in the world do I need to be jealous of these runners for? Plus, I had just gotten done extolling the joys of running in the morning and here I am lusting after the afternoon runs these people are taking.

Yet, these runners looked so happy in their shorts, missing the hats and gloves and other winter paraphernalia ubiquitous among the morning runners. They bounced past, cheeks and thighs red from the cold or the effort, determination in their eyes, some a bit breathless, others making it appear effortless and I was jealous. My inner 5 year old eye’s were welling up, about to spill and the tantrum was forming in the throat of my inner-toddler, “I waaannnnna run tooooo! Why can’t I run?” *Pout, pout, pout*

The jealousy doesn’t usually last too long and it rarely motivates me to go for a run (mostly because I’ve already run that day). Not a moment after a runner passed me last night; I shook my head and smiled at my own silly thoughts. “I’ve already run my run today, no point wishing I was running some else’s,” I told myself and I think I’ve almost got myself convinced.

Today’s Daily Dozen
Rest/Recovery
Cleaning and Cooking for a Party – that counts!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails