Thursday, February 26, 2009

Morning Runner

“This is easy” I thought as I silently slipped through the early morning darkness this morning. I am finally feeling rested and recovered after two weeks of sluggishness due to my body fighting a cold virus. It felt great.

The sun is rising earlier these days and it is beginning to get lighter and lighter by the time I finish my runs. I don’t know if it is just my imagination but there seem to be more people on the streets, walking to work or wherever they are headed. I run passed them and wonder, “How many started their day off with some exercise?”

When I have a good run in the morning, a good rest of the day follows.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I know two people who are going to be training to run a marathon and both of them are evening exercisers/gym-goers/runners. I admire them for being able to get motivated after a long day at work when there are so many things vying for their time. If I am forced to skip a morning run, there isn’t a great chance that I’ll make it up in the evening.

I find too many excuses not to run after work; in the mornings, running is the only reason I’m awake.

As I ran along this morning, I thought about all the reasons I’m not an afternoon/evening runner:
  1. After work, any time spent running is time NOT spent with Mike
  2. It’s warmer after work – in the summer that makes all the difference but in the winter, the difference is negligible.
  3. I enjoy the quiet emptiness of an otherwise busy city on an early morning.
  4. I’d be awake anyway, I might as well run.

I often think about the timing of when I decided to start running. It wasn’t long after I switched positions at my old company. My commuting time was cut in half and my start time was pushed back by an hour. Waking up two hours before work to go to the gym meant setting the alarm for 6 o’clock as opposed to 3:30 (I may be an early riser…but not that early!!)

If I hadn’t switched jobs, I probably wouldn’t be a runner.

Today’s Daily Dozen
3.07 miles run
30 minute walk @ lunch break

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails