Sunday, February 22, 2009

Rough Week

It's been a rough week for me and being active.

I've been sick or trying to recover from being sick since last Monday. Unfortunately, what started as a sore throat and fever (with accompanying dizziness) has morphed into a sore throat with congestion that migrates between my nose and my chest.

I was sick enough to stay home on Tuesday but since then I've been hanging out in that frustrating zone between sick and well - not sick enough to stay home during the day but bad enough at night that I've been having trouble getting a solid night of sleep.

I was feeling well enough to finally get in a run Thursday morning and took a slow, slooooow two mile run. My body felt exhausted during the run but I did feel better that day.

I was on the fence whether I should even attempt the long run planned for Saturday - 12 miles. I went out on the cold, but sunny weekend morning, giving myself permission to take it super slow and stop at any time. Should that mean I ran only a mile or all twelve, I told myself it didn't matter.

I ended up running the entire 12 miles and I felt decent. I was tired, like a whole body tired as opposed to an exercise tired, but I was able to get through the run and felt good about the miles afterwards.

As I ran, I wondered if I was making a mistake. Would this run set me back? I hadn't run all week, for the most part, was it smart to jump right back in to the long run, my longest long run to date p.i. (post injury). But then I felt good enough during the long run to keep going and maintain a good pace.

Today, I'm still feeling sick and my quads are a little sore but I don't think I did any harm. I think I just need to get a few nights in a row that I sleep through the night. Sleep is an amazing thing and not being able to get a decent night's rest is stretching out my sickness. It's frustrating.

Today's Daily Dozen
Get enough rest to start feeling better, permanently!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails