Monday, February 23, 2009

Stories

I found out a few weeks ago that two former co-workers/current friends have decided to run a marathon for charity.

They’ve chosen to run the Mayor’s Marathon in Anchorage, Alaska so I cannot be there to support them but I am excited to support them through the journey of training for a marathon. Neither one is a runner; although both have been athletic in the past, so I think that they will be able to do it physically. Their success will be riding on their mental ability to maintain consistency during their training and slog through the long, slow miles of their long runs.

It has been fun to share running tips and advice with them and I hope to get a chance to run a training run or two with them. Their enthusiasm and nervous excitement about running the marathon has served to amp up enthusiasm for my own running.

During my long run on Saturday, thinking about what was in store for them, I started to reminisce about my own beginnings. I remembered those early mornings on the treadmill before work, running up to 10 miles at a time, before I found the courage to run all my runs outside (well after my first marathon…and even second). I thought about the excitement that quickly turned to anxiety after I signed up for the marathon and realized that there was no turning back.

Also, I thought about my own marathon experience. I distinctly remember that stomach wrenching feeling within the first mile when I run through a turn on the course, looked behind me and didn’t see a single runner. For the briefest second I thought I was absolute dead last. My stomach nearly dropped out of feet before I realized how preposterous a thought it was and finally a swarm of runners came around the corner.

As I was coming up on the halfway mark in the marathon, I saw my in-laws and my FIL ran along side me with his video camera, asking me how I was doing. On tape, a bit breathlessly I say, “I’m feeling good” but in my mind I was thinking “Good…really? Did I just say ‘good.’ Wow, I guess I really am feeling good. Am I supposed to still feel good? Oh god, am I doing this right?” A minute later, a mini-roar goes up and I see Mike and two friends cheering from the sideline. The image of Mike trying to both cheer AND take pictures was comical. I did; however, feel like a rock star!

During Saturday’s long run, my body started to get tired sooner than it usually doesn’t, probably because I am still recovering from a lingering cold bug and I decided to take a short walk break to eat the Fig Newtons I had brought along with me. As I munched my fruit and cake, I smiled at the memory of the magical banana my Mom had waiting for me at Mile 22 of the marathon; a banana so magical, the mere thought of it pulled me through miles 20 and 21 and gave me the renewed energy (physically and mentally) to get through the final four miles.

I wonder if my friends will have similar experiences. What running stories will they have to tell?

One thing is for sure, just like me, crossing the finish line at the end of their first marathon will be an experience they will not soon forget. It is hard to describe and it just sounds trite when I try to explain the joy, the near-tears, the amazement, the astonishment, the fear, the exhaustion that shot through my body all at once. I thought about this on my long run and I know I had a goofy grin on my face.

As I slowly tromped along the bike path thinking about these things, I realized there seemed to be more runners out and about than usual for a cold, February morning. There were lone runners, tall and lean, gliding along almost gazelle-like, and groups of runners with their waist belt hydration systems that I assume are training for a big race together. I saw small groups of runners, in twos and threes, out for a morning running, chatting away the miles as I imagine they’ve done on nice Saturday mornings for years and years.

I wonder, how many of those runners have their own first marathon stories to share and how many of them are in the process of making them right there on the bike path as we pass?

Today’s Daily Dozen
Skipped XT today because my quads are still sore from Saturday’s long run

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails