Thursday, February 12, 2009

Strength Training

There’s something very satisfying about a hard strength training workout.

I’ve been slacking off on doing strength training lately, opting for more cardio workouts and a few pushups, crunches and squats thrown in for good measure during my lunchtime gym breaks. Today, despite a desire to continue that trend, I told myself – “Self, you need to find a balance in your activities; it is time for some real strength training.”

It was an internal mini-battle of wills as I got dressed to workout. I didn’t really want to do strength training today. I really was having fun doing my own version of circuit training. However, it has been over a week since I had done a strength training workout and it was about time.

In the end the strength training angel won the argument and I went through my bench presses, rows and overhead presses a bit unwillingly. However, during the overhead presses, my triceps started to “feel the burn,” as they say, and something clicked.

I imagined myself working out with a trainer who was pushing me through a hard workout just like you see on The Biggest Loser. “Dig! Dig! Dig! One more! Don’t you dare give up!,” I said to myself.

And it worked. I curled my bicep curls, I crunched my crunches and rocked my lunges, throwing in some jumping lunges just to make it harder. Usually, this is where my strength training workouts end but not today.

I kept going. I pushed (and huffed and puffed and I’ll even admit to a grunt or two) through tricep dips. I did running planks for another ab exercises. I ended with squats – 25 reps for 3 sets!

The only reason I ended the workout was because it was time to back to work.

And I’m glad I forced myself to go through my strength training routine. As I was telling a friend last night, you never feel bad after working out; it is just a matter of getting yourself through the door. After all the internal moaning and groaning, I should remember – strength training makes me feel powerful! Grrrrr!

Today's Daily Dozen
3.07 mile run
Strength Training @ Lunch hour

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails